Romain Tardy is an accomplished figure in the visual art scene, actively contributing since 2008. His work has gained international recognition, often encompassing poetic sensory experiences that combine elements of light, video mapping, physical objects, and sound. Through his creations, he explores the complex interplay between technological advancements and their impact on society.
While heavily influenced by the digital realm, Romain Tardy does not confine his work solely to digital art. His primary focus lies in the creation of tangible, offline art installations that transcend the limitations of screens. This perspective stems from his background in animation and post-production studios, as well as his experience as a VJ collaborating with prominent artists like Jay Z, Flying Lotus, and Murcof. From 2008 to 2013, he also played a significant role in the establishment and operation of the ANTIVJ label.
Currently residing and working in Brussels, Belgium, Romain Tardy leads a skilled team that adjusts its size based on project requirements. In addition to his personal creations, he engages in creative and art direction, offers art consulting services, and frequently delivers workshops and lectures at art schools and universities. His diverse portfolio showcases an array of projects, highlighting global artistic collaborations and brand partnerships.
• Meetfactory art center, Prague, March 2010
• Apple store Ginza, Tokyo, Japan, February 2012
• European Festivals Lab, panel about digital stage design, Lyon, France, May 2012
• Plaine Images studios, Lille area, France, March 2012
• French Institute of Prague, Czech Republic, October 2013
• Universidad Iberoamericana Puebla, Mexico, May 2014
• KiKK Festival, Namur, Belgium, November 2014
• AKQA Insights, Paris, France, May 2015
• AVA Festival, Belfast, Northern Ireland, May 2015
• Ars Electronica, Linz, Austria, September 2015
• Multiplica festival, Luxemburg city, Luxemburg, October 2015
• Resonate festival, Belgrade, Serbia, April 2016
• Mapping festival, Geneva, Switzerland, May 2016
• MTA Festival, Beijing, China, September 2016
• Fubiz Talks, Paris, France, September 2016
• Schiev festival, Brussels, Belgium, November 2016
• Dome of visions, Stockholm, Sweden, February 2017
• School of Architecture, Liege, Belgium, February 2017
• Genius Loci Weimar, Weimar, Germany, August 2017
• ENSAD (School of Art and Design), Nancy, France, October 2017
• PXL / MAD School of art, Hasselt, Belgium, February 2018
• Embed @ HOBO Hotel, Stockholm design week, Sweden, February 2018
• KLF @ Mironova art gallery, Kiev, Ukraine, May 2018
• Mapping festival, Geneva, Switzerland, May 2019
• Paris Electronic Week, Paris, France, September 2019
• LIFA Colloquium VII, Kiel, Germany, November 2019
• Ioannina university for the arts, Greece, January 2021
• Lichtkunst Weilheim, Germany, October 2022
• ESRA film school, Brussels, May 2023
Press: see press section
Member of the jury
• Rencontres Audiovisuelles / Mapping contest, Lille, France, September 2014
• Genius Loci Weimar , Weimar, Germany, 2014-2018
• Moscow Circle of light Festival, Moscow, Russia, 2015
• Audi Talents Awards, Paris, France, 2017
• Kiev light festival, Kiev, Ukraine, 2018
• CDA Enghien-les-bains, France, 2009
• Nabi Art Center, Seoul, South Korea, 2009
• Meetfactory, Prague, Czech Republic, 2010
• Visualiseringscenter C, Norrköping, Sweden, 2010
• Institut Français, La Habana, Cuba, 2011
• La Bellone, Brussels, Belgium, 2012
• Institut Français, Tokyo, Japan, 2012
• Centro de Diseño Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico, 2013
• Musée de l'Elysée, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2015
• Perte de signal, Montréal, Canada, 2016
• Base sous-marine, Bordeaux, France, 2017
• AI: an art + science seminary, Quai des Savoirs, Toulouse, France, 2022
• AI: an art + science seminary, L’Hexagone, Grenoble, France, 2023
• Borders at sea level in The absence of paths, Tunisian pavillion, Venice Biennale 2017
• "4x3" — 2nd year of graphic design, Lycée Charles de Gaulle, Chaumont, France, May 2009. In partnership with the International poster & graphic design festival of Chaumont.
• "Un peu moins d'image, un peu plus d'espace" (A little less pictures, a little more space) — School of La Cambre — From 1st to 3rd grade, all sections (art, graphic design, object design, stage design, typography). Brussels, Belgium, April 2013.
• "Poétique des échelles : image enfermée, image libérée " — HEAR (Haute Ecole des Arts du Rhin), France, March 2015.
• "Géopoétique d'une ville" — Master edition Université de Reims / Chaumont, May 2016.
• "An introduction to dome projection" — Mira festival, Barcelona, Spain, November 2016.
• "Building pictures with a techno-critical understanding" — Stockholm Dramatiska Högskolan, Sweden, January 2017.
• “La fabrique immatérielle” — Rencontres audiovisuelles / European mapping center, Lille, France, June 2017.
• “Pierres numériques” — ENSA, Nancy, France, October 2017 - January 2018.
• “Blue Hour” — 36Q Pavillion, Prague Quadriennial 2019.
• “Beyond A/V collaboration” — CAMP FR, France, June 2022
• “Narrative in projection mapping” — Arenberg Creative Mine, France, September 2022.
Awards & selections
• Honorary Qwartz award for Déshérence, 2011
• Pagan, part of the official selection of Artfutura film festival 2013
• The Ark, part of the official selection at Ars Electronica Festival 2014
• The Ark, Winner of 4ª bienal iberoamericana de diseño, Madrid, Spain, 2014
• The Great Indecision Council, Honorary mention, Prix Ars Electronica 2019
The font used on this website has been designed by Bastien Sozoo from UPLAOD.
Portrait picture courtesy Andréa Aubert.